Wednesday, January 20, 2010

77 on the 17

I'm starting a series of illustrations of people who ride the #17 in Portland. I take this bus nearly every day, and each day it seems like it's a different crowd of people. I covertly study the person, and try to sketch them as soon as possible. If they sit still for awhile, I can get more detail, but I can't control when they get off the bus. It's a really interesting way to spend my otherwise painfully long commute each day to school. I get very nervous each time that the person will see me drawing them and get mad at me! You never know how somebody's going to react. I've been at it for about a week and a half now, and I'd love to keep up or increase the momentum.

Funny enough, as covert as I try to be, the most fun is catching people watching me draw. A man watched me draw on the 17, and then got up, sat next to me, and requested to commission me to do a large ink illustration for him. We'll see if that goes anywhere, I just e-mailed him my fee.
Eventually, I will put a collection of 77 illustrations into a book format. Here's the first small bunch:












No comments:

Post a Comment